About Me

My photo
Lansing, Michigan, United States
I am a Lansing townie, lawyer, and restaurant reviewer for the City Pulse. I love traveling, reading, yoga, and baking, but my favorite hobby is stuffing my face.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Scenes from the Polar Vortex

My car was snowed in. Thankfully, soon after the world's sweetest boyfriend started to dig it out (which would have taken. . . I don't know. . . 59 hours), a man drove by with a snowplow. Two minutes later, the car was accessible. One minute after that, it became apparent that the battery was dead (no, I didn't think to start the car once or twice in the past 4 days.) One more minute, we learned that the car was a solid brick of ice and the hood was frozen shut. I went inside and actually started to cry. I then made myself a treat.

The most luxurious hot chocolate I could come up with. Yes, the base of it is skim milk. But I added a healthy shot of whipping cream, chunks of Cadbury's chocolate, and shakes of cinnamon, cayenne, and espresso powder. I felt a little bit better.

If you'd like to escape the snow as much as I would, here are some links to things I'm into lately:

10 things you don't know about Vernors. I've always been partial to actual ginger ale, but I've got a lot of love for this Michigan product and my mother is a fanatic.

A little background on The Pioneer Woman. Her website is a blockbuster, her new book is a bestseller (I got it for Christmas), and her Food Network show is hugely successful. 

A Velveeta shortage. Good. Ick.

I know I'm supposed to stop baking things and eat salad only for the month of January, but my new tart pan is burning a hole in my pocket and I'm dying to make this gorgeous cranberry tart (from a wonderful Lansing-local blog.) Want to come over for dinner?

Like everyone else in the world, I love Downton Abbey and feel very smart and cosmopolitan for watching it. I hunkered down last Sunday night for the season premiere with popcorn, La Croix, and 3 pairs of socks on my feet.

1 comment:

BF Mom said...

You sweet thing~~please take this advice from a crone: save your tears for weddings and births. by the time you need them for sad things they'll be sweeter. And besides, you'll freeze your eyes off in this weather!!