About Me

My photo
Lansing, Michigan, United States
I am a Lansing townie, lawyer, and restaurant reviewer for the City Pulse. I love traveling, reading, yoga, and baking, but my favorite hobby is stuffing my face.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Bon Appetit- Hasselbeck Potatoes and Short Rib Pot Pie

I'm still cooking from Bon Appetit, per my 2014 food goals. Last month, I made Hasselbeck potatoes.


 They were not great. I love potatoes, sage, and salt, and while the presentation is nice, these guys just don't have a lot of flavor. However, they're very easy to make.

Because the potatoes were so underwhelming, a few weeks later I made the beef short rib pot pie from the March cover of the magazine. I'd never made a pot pie, and I'm pretty sure I'd never even eaten a pot pie. I thought the filling would be totally encased in crust, but that wasn't the case with this one- the crust was only on the top.

Of course I tried to put my initials in the crust, but it wasn't working out.
 The crust was made with both butter and shortening. Otherwise known as Lard have mercy.


I added a bag of frozen vegetables to the filling and threw some roasted fingerlings on the plate. You know, for health.


The beef simmered for three hours and was the most tender beef I've ever made. I bought bone-in short ribs because they are a fraction of the cost of boneless and butchered them myself. It's no big deal- just cut out the bone and slice off the fat.

The next morning I wrapped the leftovers up and gave them to my brother and sister-in-law. Dangerously delicious.

No comments: