About Me

My photo
Lansing, Michigan, United States
I am a Lansing townie, lawyer, and restaurant reviewer for the City Pulse. I love traveling, reading, yoga, and baking, but my favorite hobby is stuffing my face.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Fish and Fennel Stew, Bon Appetit

A few weeks ago, after the boyfriend and I went on a rambling 5 mile run (well, I puttered along "running" while he briskly walked- he's much taller than I am), I pulled together this fish and fennel stew from Bon Appetit.

I used catfish, which I found on super sale at Goodrich's. I used plain Greek yogurt instead of creme fraiche, because creme fraiche is essentially nonexistent in Lansing, Michigan.


It was a perfectly satisfying, quick, and relatively healthy dinner. The potatoes gave it a bit of bulk, which we needed as we were famished after our exercise.

Fish Stew with Fennel and Baby Potatoes

INGREDIENTS

  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • 8 oz. small waxy potatoes (such as baby Yukon Gold), scrubbed, sliced ¼” thick
  • ½ medium fennel bulb, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • ¼ cup dry white wine
  • ¼ cup crème fraîche
  • pound skinless flounder or fluke fillet, cut into 2” pieces
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
  • Lemon wedges (for serving)

Nutritional Information

Calories (kcal) 380 Fat (g) 19 Saturated Fat (g) 4 Cholesterol (mg) 90 Carbohydrates (g) 15 Dietary Fiber (g) 2 Total Sugars (g) 1 Protein (g) 34 Sodium (mg) 280

PREPARATION

  • Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook potatoes, tossing occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add fennel and garlic; season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until fennel is soft, about 2 minutes. Add wine, bring to a boil, and cook until almost completely evaporated, about 4 minutes.
  • Add 2 cups water to pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, 10–12 minutes. Stir in crème fraîche. Add flounder, cover pot, and reduce heat. Simmer until fish is cooked through, about 4 minutes.
  • Stir dill into stew; season with salt and pepper. Serve with lemon wedges.

No comments: